Thursday, April 16, 2015

Running With Your Dog



I’ve had a dog longer than I’ve been a runner.



Growing up we had two family dogs.  To me, it feels that a house is not a home without a dog.



When Chris and I first moved in together, we lived in a two bedroom apartment that did not allow animals.  As soon as we found a house of our own, I immediately started searching for a dog.  We moved into the house the Labor Day 2013 and got Peyton October 2013.  Barely a month has passed.


Peyton and I started running when she was about 8 months old.  She's a dauchshund mix (we're suspecting Whippet because she's super quick and can run forever).  I decided to try to run with Peyton because her energy levels were through the roof and we didn't know what else to do.  We ran 2 miles that day and never looked back.  



I talked to our vet about running with Peyton and what we should be aware of.  


While increasing distance with Peyton, I took it easy.  We ran 2 miles for a week or so, and gradually increased it to 3, 4, and then 5 miles.  I give her rest days in between and keep an eye on her energy levels the days following a run.  


This is a fantastic article on what to do and not do while running with your dog:


What I would add:

1. Don't run with music.  You should always be aware of other people, dogs, cars, etc.  It helps keep you and your dog safe.

2. Run on soft surfaces.  Asphalt can be tough on your dog just like it can be tough on you.  Peyton and I often run through grassy areas.

3. Keep on eye out for what can be on the ground.  Namely glass.

The most important do? Talk to YOUR vet.  Articles can give lots of good tips, but nothing can beat the expertise of your veterinarian. 


Looking for a dog to run with?  Here are some top running breeds.


And now to today's run with Peyton.

4 miles
30:39
7:39/mile average

8 x 10 second hill sprints on treadmill
8.0% incline, 9.3 mph

We took three water breaks today since it was a little warmer than what Peyton has been used to.


Now the rest of the evening will be spent like this:



No comments:

Post a Comment